Effective Date: August 30, 2019
CATEGORIES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT ONLINE
We collect information when you interact with us online or on a mobile device, for example, when you visit our website, social media pages, or email us. We may collect the following categories of information from or about you:
- Information you provide to us: We collect the information you provide when you choose to contact us, register for programs or events, subscribe to receive promotional and partner materials, or submit any online form. This may include personally identifying information, such as your name, email, address, and phone number. Your disclosure of this information is voluntary. However, if you choose not to provide the requested information, you may be unable to access the service in question.
- Information about your use of our website: When you visit our website online or on a mobile device, we may automatically collect information like your IP address, your geography, the Web page from which you came, the web browser and type of device you used, and a record of your activity on our site. We use this information to help us make the website more responsive to your needs.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT ONLINE
Generally speaking, we use personal information to communicate with you about MISS VIRGINIA. MPI collects and processes your personal information for the following purposes:
- Communicating with you: We may use your personal information to communicate with you and process your requests and to inform you about our policies and terms.
- Informing you about content that may be of interest: With your prior consent, we may use personal information to send you marketing communications; for example, we may periodically send you emails about content that may be of interest to you or upcoming events, including information about ways that you can make a difference in your community. If you do not wish to receive such emails in the future, please contact us using the contact information below, or click the “unsubscribe” link on any promotional email you receive from us.
- Providing, improving, and developing our products and services: We use your information to help us provide, improve, and develop our services, which is necessary for us to pursue our legitimate interest and provide you with quality services. This includes using information, including data obtained from Google Analytics, for purposes such as data analysis and research. The information we receive allows us to improve your online experience and customize the content and layout of our pages.
- Promoting safety and security: We use your information to pursue our legitimate interest in helping verify accounts and user activity, as well as in promoting safety and security, such as by monitoring fraud, investigating suspicious or potentially illegal activity or violations of our terms or policies, protecting our rights, or pursuing available remedies.
THIRD PARTIES WITH WHOM WE SHARE INFORMATION WE COLLECT ONLINE
We may disclose personal information we collect online to the following categories of third parties:
- Vendors and Service Providers: We use third party companies to help us provide our products and services to you, for example, using a third party to send you MISS VIRGINIA promotional materials. Some of these companies are given access to some or all of the information you provide to us. These companies are contractually restricted from using your information in any manner other than in helping us to provide you with the services available from MPI.
- Third Party Partners: You may voluntarily choose to sign up to receive additional information about how you can make a difference in your community. If you choose to participate in this service, we may provide your email, address, phone number and name to third party partners for that purpose.
- Legal Compliance and Security: In certain special cases, we may disclose your personal information when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify or contact you, or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to you, MPI, or someone else. We may disclose your personal information when we believe the law requires it, in response to any demand by law enforcement authorities in connection with a criminal investigation, in response to civil or administrative authorities in connection with a pending civil case, governmental authorities or administrative investigation.
COOKIES & PIXELS
“Cookies” and “pixels” are small data files stored on your computer. We place a unique identifier in the cookie and use the cookie to connect your computer with the information we store for you in our database. Some examples of the data we store in our database from cookies include pages accessed and previous visits to our site. Through cookies, pixels, and similar technologies, we record past activity at our site or customize webpage content. Some of these cookies remain on your browser and allow the installer of the cookie to track you over time and across the Internet. A cookie does not identify you personally, but only identifies your browser.
Many browsers maintain a default setting to allow cookies. You have the ability to modify this setting so as to decline cookies. The “Help” tab on your toolbar may guide you to the settings for your browser that will allow you to change your browser settings with regard to cookies. If you decline cookies, your use of our website may be impaired.
COMPANIES OTHER THAN MPI.
Depending on where you live, you may have the right to:
- See what data we have about you, if any, and access the data.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Receive your personal information in a structured and standard format.
- Express concerns you have about our use of your data.
You may contact us to exercise your rights. We will respond to your request in a reasonable timeframe, and in any event in less than one month or 45 days, depending on the law applicable where you live. You may also lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority regarding the processing of your personal information.
To protect the privacy and the security of your personal information, we may request information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access such information, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information we maintain. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide or delete some or all of the personal information that we maintain.
If you are a California resident, California law permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. You may contact us to exercise your rights. If you are a California resident under the age of 18, and you are a registered user of our products or services, California law permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted. To make such a request, please contact us with specific information about where the content or information is posted and attesting that you posted it. We will then make reasonable, good faith efforts to remove the post from prospective public view, or anonymize it so you cannot be individually identified, to the extent required by applicable law. Please be aware that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted and that there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal even if requested.